Sunday, September 30, 2012

Thoughts and reflections

So I finished my first month in Crossfit and I feel better than I have in years!  I haven't lost that much weight (yeah I have gotten on the scales because I can't help myself) and I'm not even sure that I look any different. None of that really matters because I feel better about myself!  I feel like I'm "living" and not just dying one day at a time. I have had a rough road for the past five years and now it is time to claim my life back!  I started to think about this the other day because someone said something to me that I had never really thought about before. We were talking about my blog and how people have said that it inspires them. I told her that I had never been one of those people that got truly inspired by others life changing stories (at least not enough to get my butt off the couch and do something about my own life). Her next comment was what stuck with me. She said that if people knew me now they would never have thought I would be doing this or even be able to do it at all. She didn't mean it rudely (at least I don't think she did) but I think what she was saying was that people should be inspired. What I took away from the conversation was something completely different. I realized at that moment that the people who "know" me now wouldn't ever think I could do this. They didn't know me when I played sports year round and was very active. Don't get me wrong, I was never skinny, but I was in shape. The people that are around me now have encouraged me over the years but it took someone from my past to get me going. That is why God sent James back into my life at the right time to get me motivated to even try Crossfit. James knew how I used to be and I needed that one person to actually believe I could do it (even when I didn't). God also knew that I would need a place to workout like Crossfit. It is like being back on a team. I need that!  I have tried to go to several different gyms and just workout (I've even done the Zumba and TurboKick classes) but at the end of the workout or class you leave and no one really cares if you come back. At Crossfit they expect you to be back and if you miss you have people asking you why. I need that kind of accountability. And, they actually do care how you are progressing and they cheer you on as you meet your goals. So, what I took away from the conversation I had with this person was that I don't want to be exactly who I was in high school but I want to be a better version of that person. I want to want to workout for myself (instead of just for a race or game like I did in high school). I want to enjoy working out, and I can honestly say on last Thursday I did enjoy working out. I do want people to be inspired by my blog (even though I wasn't that type of person) and know that no matter what shape you are in you can do something about it. I told myself that I couldn't do anything about it for a long time, but it all happened in God's time. I can't wait to start my second month and see how I do. I know each day will be hard but the results are sooo worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I could help in any way by introducing you to CrossFit, but if you didn't want it you weren't going to come no matter what I said. The difference is you want it and that's why you're there kicking butt EVERY DAY!

    ReplyDelete