Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Day of Crossfit

I was sooo stressed out about my first workout!  I am so out of shape and I was sure that I would never make it through the full session!  I got there and met the rest of the members of my "elements" class. There were three high school girls, three guys, and a middle aged lady (all of which looked like they were in much better shape than I have been in a very long time). Our warm up was a 200 meter run, stretching, and then a few reps of squats, pushups, and these pull up things. I mean the warm up was more like a complete exercise for me!  Then we did the first timed workout. We were paired up with a partner (and I got the best cheerleader possible ---the middle aged woman named Suzy)!  I was in the first group with all of the guys (so I knew that I was going to get smoked in this challenge). We had to run 200 meters, do reps of the squats, push ups, and modified pull ups (15, 12, and 9) and then run another 200 meters to the finish. Travis, our coach, said that we would all be done in less than 30 minutes!  I thought he was crazy!  So we started the event and I was WAY behind in the running (I really hate running). We got back to the building and started our reps. I thought I was going to die!  But the thing that kept me going was Suzy and Travis saying how great I was doing all along the way. I was doing pushups and I could hear my guy friend yelling how awesome I was doing (all if this and I knew that I was slower than everyone else in my group).  They were yelling for me like I was their favorite pro athlete!  It was awesome!  At one point in my reps of 12, when I'm sure I looked like I was going to die, Travis leaned over and told me to go at my own pace and that I was doing great AND we were only 8 min and 32 secs into timing!  I looked over at him in the middle of my pushup and asked if he was serious ( bc it felt like it had been at least 30 min since I had started!). I ended up finishing with a 14:03 time (which was the slowest in my class),  but I felt like I had accomplished something amazing. I did something that I never thought I would be able to do!  I love the family atmosphere!  Everyone is always encouraging the people around them!  I went in thinking this might be my only day at Crossfit and I came out feeling like I could do pretty much anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment