Friday, September 21, 2012

Last day of week 3

I took some time before I wrote about today's workout. I almost didn't write about today, but I realized that my bad days are just as important as my good ones. I should have known my workout wasn't going to be the best because my attitude was all wrong!  I already thought I couldn't do part of the workout because I was too weak (I had seen that rope climbing was part of today's WOD and already convinced myself I was unable to do it).   I shouldn't have been so down on myself because I knew that there would be a modified workout that I COULD do. When we started the warm up I got frustrated because I couldn't do the jump roping (my knees hate the pounding and I am just not that coordinated), but Charles said we would just work on it a little bit every day and I would get it. We did some arm warm ups, squats with the PVC, push ups, and body rows. When I started doing the squats I couldn't believe how sore I was!  My knees hurt just standing there and squatting! We got through the warm ups, stretching, and started the real workout. The first part was rope climbing, and there was a modified workout that I could do.  Two other girls and I did 3 minutes of body rows instead of climbing the rope.  Although I could do it I was mad that something so simple was a lot more work for me today.  The next part was 100m of overhead walking lunges. I hadn't done this before but it is a regular walking lunge while you are carrying weights over your head. I had 15 pounds of weight and I was convinced I was going to make myself make it through the whole 100 m. I started out ok but before I even made it half way my knees were killing me!  Charles told me to continue without the weight, and I knew it was the right thing to do but I was pissed!  As I got closer to the end my body wanted to quit, but Charles was right there to cheer me on and tell me that I was doing great. The last part to the workout were 300 Abmat situps. I knew I could at least struggle through this because it had NOTHING to do with my knees!  As I started doing them I noticed that my back started hurting more and more. I asked Travis if I had the mat in the wrong place.  I tried several different positions but my back wouldn't stop hurting!  Travis wasn't frustrated with me at all and just said that I was probably just sore from this weeks workout. We were supposed to do toes to bar evey minute on the minute while we were doing the situps. This was modified for the few of us that couldn't do this yet and we did knees to bar. Since my back was hurting Travis said I could just do knees to bar for the rest of the workout. I was scared at first because I wasn't sure that I could actually hold onto the bar and hold my weight without falling. I finally did it and tried my best to get my knees as high as possible. I didn't think I was doing very well but Travis and Charles were there telling me I was doing good. I could only do a few at a time but I did as many as I could. When we were done I told Charles that this was my worst workout yet. He reminded me that we had done hard workouts all week and my body was just sore. To convince myself that I wasn't a complete waste today I did a few reps on the GHD machine. I think that Travis could tell how mad I was when I was leaving because he told me not to be so hard on myself. I went to watch a kick ball game around the corner from the gym and I was still really frustrated with myself. So, after the game I went back and jogged/power walked 400m (it is already measured on the road by the gym) and did a few squats. Today just made me so mad at myself!  Why did I let my body get so bad?  I have done this to myself! If I had it to do all over again I would never have put working out off until "another day". I wouldn't have been so lazy for so many years!  But, at this point I have to look at what I can do right now. I have to work hard and understand that I'm going to have frustrating days. But, these frustrating days are just part of the journey and one day I will be able to look back on them and be glad I had all the support around me and know I didn't give up!  I'm just glad I have Crossfit, because without them I would have already given up (well I probably would have never started this journey)!

No comments:

Post a Comment