Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Gymnastics and a new PR on my clean

Yesterday was my birthday and I really couldn't think of anything I would have rather done!  I spent the first part of the day being lazy, but I went to Crossfit early where I could get in a little extra workout. I did the warmup with the earlier class. The warmup was 4, 200m sprint rows for time with stretches in between each row. All of my times were 52 seconds and lower. When the class started the WOD I did 3 extra 200m sprint rows. Then I waited and did the whole thing over again plus the WOD with my regular class. So I rowed 2200m yesterday!  The WOD was mostly gymnastics skills. We did 7 rounds of L sits on the parallels, handstand push ups, 21 unbroken kettle bell swings, and ring dips. It was to get as many reps that you could in each thing so it wasn't timed. I started out by sitting on the box and holding my legs up for as long as I could instead of L sits, but by the end I was trying to actually do it on the parallels.  I couldn't hold it for long, but I did it!!  I did wall push-ups instead of handstand push-ups. I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to do all of the kettle bell swings, but I made it through six rounds with the 35# weight!  I did the ring dips with a blue band. I only had one knee in the band because I had one foot down so I didn't put too much pressure on my hands. I pushed myself pretty hard yesterday, but it was completely worth it!  I wanted to start my 32nd year off right, and I don't think I could have done anything better than getting an extra workout in and pushing myself to do things I really never thought I would ever be able to do (like holding myself up on the parallels...even if it wasn't for very long).
I looked st WOD for today, and I wasn't too excited. It was cleans and running (2 things that I struggle with). I also knew that I was going to probably be limited to what weight I could do on the clean, and I wasn't really looking forward to another day of just lifting 45 and 55 pounds. I started doing the warmup, which had jump roping in it, and started my normal jumping up and down. Travis saw me and told me to get a jump rope. I really didn't want to because I really can't jump rope. I'm not coordinated enough to do it. We were supposed to do 30 double unders or 90 singles. I did maybe 5 singles and quit. I don't think I have really ever just quit doing something at Crossfit because I didn't think I could do it until today. I have had to stop doing some things because of injuries, but not just because my mind won't let me do it. Today was the first time for that and I was really mad at myself for many reasons. I could feel my frustration building. I finished the rest of the warmup, but not with the best attitude about what we were doing. We got to the WOD and I asked Chad what I could start out with on the bar. He said to do 45# and I would determine how much weight I lifted from there!! What?!  I was really excited when I heard this, because, even though I struggle with cleans, I couldn't wait to see what I could actually lift!!  I ended up starting out with 55# and worked all the way up to 115#!!!  That was a PR for me tonight! Before surgery I couldn't do more than 100#, and almost hurt myself doing 105#. Tonight 115# felt great!!  After this excitement I came back to reality and realized we still had to run. Everyone else ran 1 mile, rested for 5 minutes, and ran another mile. I ran 800m both times instead of the mile, because I'm pretty sure no one would have wanted to wait on me to finish two miles. Even though I only ran 800m I still wasn't very excited, but I finish both in around 5 minutes a piece and ran almost the entire way!  I was pretty happy!  After we got done I told Travis that I quit on the jump ropes (he knew), but all he said was that I need to work on them every day that I come in and I will get it. He couldn't believe it when I told him I got a PR in cleans tonight!! I could hardly believe it myself because it has only been a little over 5 weeks since I had surgery and I've only been back to the box for a week and a half!!  This was a good day that I never saw coming!!  I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment