Tuesday, December 11, 2012

playing catch up!

Life got kind of hectic right before I was getting ready to leave Montgomery.  This post is going to play catch up from last Wednesday.  One of the reasons I didn't post on Wednesday was because I was really frustrated with my performance that night!  I had hurt my knee on Monday and it was still pretty tight on Wednesday.  Wednesday's WOD was 5 rounds max reps of burpees, wall balls, body rows, push press (55#), and step ups.  I started out on wall balls and I couldn't even do the first one!  My left knee and hamstring were killing me!  I almost started to cry because I knew this was one of my last workouts before I left Crossfit for about 6 weeks and I couldn't even do the first exercise.  Travis told me I could just do push ups instead.  I knew I couldn't even do regular push ups because my leg hurt just doing those.  I did the push ups with my knees on the floor.  I did the first round with push ups instead of wall balls, but on rounds two and three I wanted to try squats.  Once that didn't hurt too bad I decided to try wall balls again!  I actually decided to switch it up halfway through round four.  I guess my knee had loosened up enough at that point that it didn't hurt nearly as bad!  Even though I did end up doing wall balls in this WOD I was still very frustrated that my body was not cooperating with me!
Thursday was a completely different day!!!  I went to my doctor to get my final labwork done for my surgery.  He wrote a letter for my surgeon.  When I read it I almost started to cry!  My doctor said,  "She is without a doubt in the best shape of her life." Seriously?!  I have been working my butt off and my doctor actually noticed!!  I couldn't wait to get to the box and show Travis!!  I was basically jumping up and down when I took the letter to him!  I think the best part was when he realized what it said because he got this huge smile on his face and gave me a big hug!! He was just as excited as I was!  I had been worried about the WOD for Thursday, but after reading this letter I knew I could do it!  It was three rounds of 500m row, 10 deadlifts @ 185#, and a 200m run.  I asked Travis what weight I should do on the deadlifts. My 1RM is 235#, so I wasn't sure I would be able to do 185# ten times in a row!  Travis said I should at least be at 145#.  When he saw me warming up with 145# he said 165#.  Eventually it worked itself all the way up to 185# (which was RX).  I really wasn't sure that I was going to be able to do it, but I would sure as heck try.  When I was on the last round and was running back into the box from the 200m run Travis was standing there cheering me on.  I don't think I have run that fast in a VERY long time!  All I could really think about was that letter from my doctor and how I was going to prove it right!!!  It was an absolutely amazing night!!!  I finished in 17:49, but the time didn't even matter!  I was just really really happy with how I did!!!
On Friday I did a very similar WOD to the one I had done on Tuesday.  It was 5 rounds max reps bench press and body rows.  The big difference being that I did 115# on the bench press instead of 75#! I ended up doing 32 bench presses and 48 body rows after 5 rounds. 
Saturday was my last workout before I left for surgery.  It was a really tough one because I didn't get nearly enough sleep and was just feeling kind of drained.  It was a 20 minute AMRAP of 1 power clean, 2 front squats, 3 push presses @75#, and 200m run.  I was in a group with Stephanie and Rachel.  I am so glad I had them because I don't know if I would have finished without their support! I struggled through the lifts, which was disappointing, but I did get through them!  It was sad to know that this was my last workout at Crossfit for about 6 weeks.  I told everyone goodbye and basically ran out of the box where they wouldn't see me cry!
 

2 comments: