Friday, March 15, 2013

A Pretty Decent Week

This was a pretty good week of workout. I felt really good with how I did on the first WOD of the Open, and it made me feel better about my workouts this week. The one night that really sticks out in my mind was the night that dead lifts were in the strength part of our workout. I always like to see dead lifts in a WOD because I really enjoy them and I'm actually pretty good at them too. When I read the workout I had to take a second glance to make sure I read it right. It was a 6 minute EMOM (every minute on the minute) alternating 5 dead lifts and ring dips. The catch was that the dead lifts were supposed to be 85% of your one rep max. I did the math about 10 times to make sure I was right. My 1RM for dead lift is 290#, so I would be lifting 246.5# in the WOD!! That's a lot of weight to do a total of 15 times!  When I got to the box I ended up going down to 245# instead if up to 250# and I did push-ups instead of ring dips (because I still can't really do the ring dips). I think this was probably one of the hardest strength WOD's I've done. I did complete all of the lifts at 245#, and I was kind of impressed with myself because I really wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it the whole way through!  I would really like to be able to dead lift at least 300-315# in the next six months or so!  I know that sounds crazy to a lot of people but I really do enjoy lifting!
On Wednesday night the second WOD for the Open was announced. I had been hoping that there would be dead lifts in it (and I was kind of hoping they would be heavy). I got part of what I wanted. The 13.2 WOD was a 10 minute AMRAP of 5 shoulder to overhead lifts (75#), 10 dead lifts (75#), and 15 box jumps (20 inches). So, although they weren't heavy, I did get my dead lifts. I was kind of excited because it was another WOD that I could actually do everything. I hadn't been sure about the box jumps but the standards said it could be a step up too. I hadn't done 20 inch step ups but I sure as heck was going to do it now!  I was also a little nervous because this should be one of the WOD's that I should do really well on.  I knew the lifts should be the easy part for me, because even just doing step ups instead of box jumps was going to be very tiring and a killer on my legs!  I decided to get judged on Thursday. I wasn't really sure what to expect out of myself so I wanted to have time to redo the WOD if I thought I could have done better. As we were getting ready Clinton said I should at least be able to get five rounds in. That would be 2 minutes per round. He estimated about 30 seconds for the lifts and that would give me 1:30 to do the step ups. Once he said that I immediately wanted to do more than five rounds!  Clinton was going to be my judge, and I knew he would push me to keep going throughout the WOD. Dusti came to watch too and I knew that she wouldn't have a problem yelling at me to keep me going when I would want to give up. When the time started I picked up the bar and went to do my first lift. I hit myself in the chin!  It startled me but I didn't drop the bar. I tried to regroup and do the lift again. For some reason I couldn't lift it!  I dropped the bar and paused for a few seconds. All I could hear was Clinton telling me to pick the bar back up and get started!  I guess it was just jitters because when I picked the bar up again the lifts came pretty naturally. I got through about ten of the step ups in the first round and I realized how hard this WOD was really going to be!  My legs were burning like fire and I had only done 10!  I tried not to think about the pain and got through rounds two and three. At the beginning of round four I was exhausted and just wanted to give up. I was standing at the bar and I really didn't want to pick it up. I knew that I could get through all the lifts but then I was going to have to start on the step ups again and I just couldn't even think about that!  Clinton and Dusti were right there pushing me to keep going. I finished the lifts and went to the box for the step ups. I just looked at it!  It really wasn't until Clinton started beating on the box with his hand that I realized I was really going to have to do more and that I could do it. I had been making pretty decent time until that point but after that the step ups got slower and slower. I got through round five with about 2:30 left on the clock. I got through the lifts on round six really fast and started the step ups. Dusti was yelling at me not to stop, Clinton was smacking his poor hand on the box yelling for me to give him more, and Travis was beside me telling me I was going to get this round done. I finished the last step up when the timer read 0:01!  Travis kept telling me to go faster and I was just trying not to pause at all. My legs hurt so bad, and I wasn't even sure I was strong enough to push myself up on those last ten step ups. But, I did it!  I got through a full six rounds. When it was over I just laid on the box I had been using for step ups. I wasn't sure I could move!  I ended up with a score of 180. That wasn't too bad but I was hoping to be closer to 200. I am happy that I got past the five round mark though!!  I am going to redo it on Sunday to see if I can get a better score. I just want to see if I can at least get through the lifts in the 7th round. I think the frustrating part to me was that I could have done a lot more lifts because my arms weren't tired. I just want to see if I can do just a little better!

No comments:

Post a Comment